Dr. 'X' Adventure Set

Discussion platform on Airfix and GMR model railways

Dr. 'X' Adventure Set

PostPosted by reposting-4 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:14 pm

Image originally posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:20 pm by: MarioW

In Telford Tony kindly brought along the rare Dr. 'X' Adventure Train Set he had so kindly taken delivery of after I bought it on eBay. These sets are huge and I can imagine sellers not wanting to ship these abroad. I was glad to save the hefty postage on this one!

The box is the worst part of this set. I knew it was in need of a lot of TLC, but is was worse than I thought. Luckilly most of the main structure is there, just in pieces. The content however is near mint, with only minor repairs that I had to make to them:

Image Image

I must say I can't help feeling this set is even more dubious in playing value than the companion Wild West Adventure Train Set. The A1A Class 31/4 Diesel Locomotive struggles to get around the tight corners, but its weight helps to keep it on track. The 1st Class Inner-City Open Coach MKII however is a third longer and a lot lighter, and moving it by hand would hardly stay on the track, and I cannot imagine it will do so when pulled by the Diesel Loco... Apart from that the concept of the game is wasted on me. I cannot help but think that a tunnel through a rock barely wider than the tunnel is not good planning on behalf of the Railway Company:

I must be loosing my inner child... :(

I will step aside and will let the text writers of 1975 take over to explain what the adventure is.

The Instruction Cartoon wrote:Dr 'X' Aventure Story - a threat to the World
Somewhere in England, a top security operation is under way. Its onbject: to transfer a deadly new nuclear missile - to a secret testing ground.
The sinister, international arch-villain, known only as Dr.X. has discovered the plan and he intends to steal the rocket and hold the world to ransom!

It looks like an ordinary goods train. But one van conceals a nuclear missile bound for a testing ground.

In his secret tunnel laboratory, Dr.X brings his radar scanner into action. "The train is on its way1"

(actually, it is spelled "it's" in the cartoon, I could not help taking this spelling error out)

Image Image

The Instruction Cartoon wrote:Up the line, a breakdown truck approaches the level crossing - driven by one of Dr.X's henchmen.
According to plan, the truck stalls - in the path of the train!
[traindriver:] "What the ...!"

Image Image

The Instruction Cartoon wrote:Suddenly the side of the moutain swings open. Dr.X and his men rush out.
[Dr.X:] "Don't anybody move!"

The cartoon skips a few steps here, because it all has to fit on one page. According to the instructions inside:

The text instructions wrote:Position container lorry on trackside piece so that it faces the rear of the train and lines up with lowmac trailer

The text instructions wrote:Depress lorry's ventilation housing unit rocket will transfer automatically from lowmac trailer to lorry container.

(actually, it will not, as the side of the container lorry fails to touch the bottom clip of the secret rocket van, and that van's side does not come down enough to let the missile roll out...)

This fact not withstanding the Instructions wrote:The gang automatically transfer the rocket.
The rocket is taken into Dr. X's laboratory.

Apart from referring to the bomb now as a rocket, where perviously it was a missile, the instructions inside ask us to

The text instructions wrote:'Drive' lorry to tunnel and open tunnel side A by depressing catch.

I could be a purist and state the side was already open to let Dr.X out, but I won't. Oh no, I already did...

The text instructions wrote:Remove rocket shield from rocket launcher and place alongside lorry container. Depress lorry's ventilation housing unit - rocket will automatically transfer from container to rocket shield.

The text instructions wrote:Offer up shield complete with rocket to launcher (making sure lugs marry up). Rocket is now ready for firing

The Instruction Cartoon wrote:[Henchman:] "There's no answer to our ransom demand Dr.X!..."
Will the government give in to Dr.X's demands? Dare he fire the rocket and blow the world to bits? How long can both sides bluff it out? Can Dr.X even trust his friends? How will it end? It's up to you!

I would suggest to Dr.X not to fire that missile/rocket. I tried it and it doesn't come much higher than 40 cm! :D

An unusual addition to my collection, so typical for 1970's toys. I can almost imagine the hyped-up TV commercial - and the inevitable deception when playing with it. Toys hardly ever lived up to the excitement the adverts were so full of.

There's always room for ONE more kit!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
reposting-4

Re: Dr. 'X' Adventure Set

PostPosted by reposting-4 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:15 pm

Image originally posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:21 pm by: matchbox_mike

mariow wrote:Toys hardly ever lived up to the excitement the adverts were so full of.

Well, you seemed to have enjoyed setting it up Mario, and your commentry on the various phases is most entertaining!

How will it end? It's up to you....

Judging by the extra weight Dr.X is carrying, combined with the enormous cheroot he's got on the go plus all the stress involved in the planning of the missile heist, a heart attack is almost certainly immanent. He'll never live long enough to spend the ransom.......

reposting-4

PostPosted by reposting-4 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:15 pm

Image originally posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:27 pm by: Airfixer

Great catch Mario :-)

Thx for the story, really entertaining..

:-)
reposting-4

PostPosted by reposting-4 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:16 pm

originally posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:36 pm by: loupgarou

Yes,
you and Airfix's stories combined are a gem, Mario. :wink: :)
And I think your inner child is still safe and sound. :wink:
Paolo
reposting-4

PostPosted by reposting-4 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:16 pm

originally posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:40 am by: JC Carbonel

Well I don't know about the playvalue of the set ... I would need to test it myself javascript:emoticon('Laughing')

but what I can see :

the basic plot to fire a A-bomb missile from GB to GB = Moonraker (novel)
+
the Dr X figure = Goldfinger (Gert Froebe as Auric Goldfinger in the eponymous movie)
+
faking an accident to stop a highly guarded train = The Brain (1969 movie)
+
stealing a missile = Superman the movie (possibly too late to be inspirational) but i am sure there were some 60's shows with this theme (UNCLE ?)
+
secret base in the mountain = UFO Robot Grandizer

etc...

JCC
reposting-4

PostPosted by reposting-4 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:17 pm

Image originally posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:58 pm by: Dorfdarb

Only instructions from Gt. Britain contain such marvelous phrases as "Offer up shield complete with rocket to launcher (making sure lugs marry up)."
It's almost sensual.
reposting-4

PostPosted by reposting-4 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:17 pm

originally posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:57 pm by: Terry

Thought I would post a few pics of mine up, here is the box top

And the Inlay Trays with the boxed pieces

http://imageshack.us/a/img5/4338/019plj.jpg
(huge, thread-bursting Image! therefore set as link by repost-4)

The Figures still on sprue and wrapped

reposting-4

PostPosted by reposting-4 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:18 pm

originally posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:43 pm by: loupgarou

Terry wrote:Thought I would post a few pics of mine up, here is the box top
And the Inlay Trays with the boxed pieces
The Figures still on sprue and wrapped

The content seems mint, Terry. i hope you'll be able to find a mint boxtop. or maybe our Tony can help you ?
Paolo
reposting-4

PostPosted by frogman » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:17 am

One of the last Hornby pieces written by Simon Kohler was on the repeated failure of the company's many attempts to produce an action train set. Some references to Airfix's Dr X as the benchmark of such failures.
frogman
Site Admin

Return to Airfix ready-to-run model railways